Nearly two months ago, tragedy struck our community. The road to recovery has been challenging. We are persevering and growing stronger as a community with the common goal of promoting peace and acceptance. This past Sunday, June 8, we saw over 700 people come to the J to celebrate friendships, new and old, at Maxine Benson’s retirement party and the JCC Linwood & Holmes Reunion.
Maxine has been the Director of the Childhood Development Center at the J for 17 years and has touched the lives of so many families, nurtured hundreds of children and grown the CDC to be Overland Park’s premiere day care and preschool facility. Despite cloudy, cold weather on Sunday, hundreds of Maxine’s friends, co-workers, and current and former CDC families gathered at the outdoor pool to celebrate Maxine’s career.
Shortly after, we welcomed over 300 people for a JCC reunion! Following a program with plenty of reminiscing, guests enjoyed a reception where they reconnected with their old friends. Many attendees have been participants at the J for decades – a few for over 80 years – and enjoyed recalling fond memories of activities at two of the J’s previous locations at 1600 Linwood Blvd and 8201 Holmes Road.
The reunion was covered extensively in local media:
- KCTV 5 – Reunion Celebrates Jewish Community Center’s 100th Anniversary
- Fox 4 – Jewish Community Center of Kansas City Celebrates 100th Birthday
- 41 Action News – Jewish Community Center Holds Reunion Celebrating 100 Years
- KC Star – Decade After Decade Jewish Community Center Has Welcomed, Taught and Played
- KC Star – Photo Gallery: Gathering Celebrates Jewish Community Center’s 100th Anniversary
See below for photos from both events.